Who can enroll in Medicare?
General additional qualifications for individuals over 65 are:
- You or your spouse must have worked for at least 10 years (40 quarters) in which Social Security payroll taxes were paid. (You may be eligible if you have worked for less than 40 quarters at an additional cost.)
- You are a United States citizen (by birth or naturalized)
- You are a permanent resident of the United States or a legal resident alien who has lived in the United States for at least 5 years.
If you are under 65, you may qualify if:
- You have permanent kidney failure
- You have an illness or injury covered under workers’ compensation; the federal black lung program; no fault insurance or any liability insurance
- Social Security as already certified you as disabled prior to reaching the age of 65